Sunday, August 27, 2006

Building the Brewery

Well after roughly eighteen months of reverting back to extract brewing, the brewery is finally reaching completion. Not that it should have taken this long, but work tends to get in the way of enjoyment. The eighteen metres of galvanised tubing I purchased way back when ended up being short by about ten metres (I think I actually planned on a two tier system initially, so I really should have expected that).
I will be purchasing the pump once I get some more overtime. The pump I will use is a March 809L. I saw a few others that I know would be a lot better, but unfortunately the budget is blowing out as it is, so the $1200 series 335 will have to wait!
I managed to get some brass 1/2" ball valves for the plumbing - eight in total - for about $7.50 each at Reece Plumbing, Wetherill Park. I purchased my copper coil at the same place, also for a bargain, at $121.00 for eighteen metres. This will be used to make 2 x 9 metre counterflow chillers (One of these will go to someone else). I am contemplating the use of that thin black irrigation tubing for the outer shell... but for the sake of a measley $20 difference, I may just use 18mm garden hose instead.
Either way, I am going to have to wait until I have the frame in place before I go ahead with any further plumbing plans. Getting very impatient, though...

Pics coming...
TSD

No comments: