Thursday, November 09, 2006

American Amber Ale... or not

A few months back I brewed up a wetpak APA, but added significantly more crystal to the mix, and a moderate proportion of cascade about ten minutes before flame-out. At first, this was a delightfully hoppy ale that, if not for the colour and (comparitively) lower hop presence, I would have rated it as a good example of an APA - despite the reasonable amount of kettle-caramelisation present in the background. However, now that the hop presence has worn down, I am finding myself with a superbly malty, caramel brew far more reminiscent of a Southern English Brown. While this isn't exactly what I was trying to achieve - by a long shot - it is still a wonderful brew that I will be trying to replicate again for next winters drinking.

Hic,
TSD

No comments: