Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wet Paks

I really should state straight up that I used to work for the Country Brewer - I did so for three years - so I guess in a way my opinion about their products could be slightly biased. That being said, I sincerely believe they are a classic example of a hard working small Aussie business that has taken on the "big guns" of the homebrew industry and come out on top. At any rate, whether or not you think I am here to advertise, or to simply share my opinion, feel free to read on...

I have previously posted on my current lack of an all grain brewery, and subsequent need to revert back to brewinig extract beers. I don't want anyone to think that by saying "revert back", I am implying that these extract beers are in any way inferior. In fact, I have won several awards at homebrew competitions up to state and national level with beers I have brewed from extracts, and even using tinned pre-bittered concentrates as a base. Those who state that beers made this way are inferior are either kidding themselves, trying to justify their existence (and time spent making all-grain beer), or are just downright ignorant!

Being sans-beer-frame, I have taken to brewing the Country Brewer WetPaks again and I have to say I am loving them! They take a little more time than the average kit (one hour boil), but the extra time and effort are really worth it. These beers have more flavour, more body, and more aroma than any pre-bittered concentrates and just seem to taste... fresher. I currently have on tap both an American Pale Ale and an Oak Ale from the WetPak range and can't get enough of either.

The range seems to be expanding at a reasonable rate too. They started off with five classic styles - Pilsner, Lager, Bitter (English-style... certainly not a V.B. clone), Porter and an American Pale Ale. Since its conception, the range has seen the addition of a Hefe-style wheat beer and an Oak Ale. Although the oak Ale has only been on the shelf a few months, I have already made three of the suckers... it is simply that good.

Now many purists will tell you that oak has no place in a beer and, theoretically, they are correct. Even though historically beer was stored in oak barrels, the inside of these casks were apparently coated in pitch to mitigate any chance of oxidation. However, one thing I learnt from Beavis (one of the directors of the Country Brewer) during my time there was a "why not" attitude when it came to brewing. This is evidenced clearly in the Oak Ale Wetpak. I know of no other brand of homebrew kit that has introduced the addition of oak chips to the brewing process, but it has come off as a great success. The oak is quite dominant, but not overpowering, and it sits on a base that I would consider to be remeniscent of a British pale ale. In fact, this would have been a great brew in and of itself, but the addition of the oak truly sets it apart.

So if any of you who currently brew all-grain find yourselves, as I have, without the equipment necessary to do the job properly, don't run your taps dry... get a WetPak in the boiler and enjoy.

Cheers,
TSD

No comments: